Sunday, August 24, 2008

A new beginning: A huge change that will be for the better. (Hopefully)

Well, I have finally gotten what I wanted. I have graduated back to Pokerstars. On Thursday I got my $1000 Quicktender to finally go through and I went to the bank and picked it up. From there, I went to a Western Union and had to initiate a transfer. The transfer cost $60! That alone makes me hope that I don't bust my Stars bankroll. After paying back Stars what I owed them I only had $364 in my account. It's not much to work with but its better then nothing. It's been only two days since I have been playing I and I have already made a bunch of noise.

These are my cashes so far. All cashes can be seen at the thepokerdb.com s/n=CUgold61

NL$20 7/180
NL$8 115/1209
NL$5+Rebuys 19/3042
NL$3+Rebuys 53/3591

The two rebuys were being played simultaneously and had 1st places of 7K and 5K so the fact that I got super deep in both of them was easily one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me in terms of poker.

After returning to Stars I can already see how much my game has improved from the last time I played on Stars. My play at Commerce taught me patience and my play at Cake gave me a better understanding of strategy. And now I am ready to start making some serious money.

There were a lot of key hands played in both rebuys but here are a few of the main ones I remember.

$5 rebuys:

Hand 1:

Hero 140K
Villain 1 110K
Villain 2 20K
I hadn't done anything in a while but I was still well ahead of the average so I was just sitting tight. I picked up K K and the villain with 110K shoved all in.

I obviously call and a shortstack throws it in.

Hands

Me K K
Villain 1 10 10
Villain 2 A x


Flop Q 10 Q. Fucking figures.

I win a few pots and get back to 80K and then this happens.

I think the blinds were 4K/8K and I shoved with K 3 in late position trying to steal blinds. Lately, I have been getting called almost every time I have been making those shoves. And I have been getting called after not doing anything for a really long time. And most the time I have been called, I have been called by hands that are beating me because I usually have trash but they have trash hands too. I don't understand why these people call me sometimes. Anyway, I get called by J J and the flop comes all clubs and I double up. I deserved that after that chicken shit hand with Kings against tens.

This is the hand that did me in.

19 players left. Blinds 10K/20K

Hand 3

Hero 700K
Villain 530K

We are 6 handed and I am in the BB. UTG who has been playing tight raises to 50K or 60K. Normally I would fold to this guy but I noticed we were 6 handed and wasn't throwing away an A J suited. I came pretty close because I hate A J especially OOP but I didn't want to be a total nit so I called.

Flop

A x x

Villain bets 120K and I call.

Turn x spade giving me the nut flush draw.

I check and villain goes all-in. If it wasn't for the flush draw I am folding but I have way too many options and am possibly ahead of a lot of his potential range so I call.

He shows A Q.

I never hit when I have A x suited with nut flush draw when I am behind and this was no different. He dodged the river and I was crippled. I got knocked out about 10 minutes later in 19th. I think 19th paid something stupid like $120.


$3 rebuys

This tournament started 2 hours later and since I was doing so well in the other one I paid very little attention to it. It also didn't help that I was card dead for literally the entire tournament.

At one point I was down to 1100 chips and the BB was 2K. There was this idiot at my table who was doubling everyone up and he doubled me up twice and got me up to 11K. I grinded from there and before I knew it I was up to 80K and second in chips on the table. I don't remember the hand that propelled me from 35K to 80K. Edit: Just remember. It was set over set. It was fucking awesome.

Hand 1

Villain 1.1M
Hero 100K

Villain just got to the table and is chipleader of the tournament. There are about 130 players left. Villain is UTG and shoves all in. BB in the hand has only 23K in chips so its obvious that he is stealing. In the other tournament, someone did the exact same thing and when called he showed K K.

I was sitting on 9 9 on the button and had been waiting on a hand for a while. I was already out of the other tournament and was in kind of a sour mood so I thought I would gamble if thats what it came down to and I called. He showed K 4o and I doubled up to 200K.

Hand 2 (My huge mental error.)

This is the hand I went out on. I was so card-dead this entire tournament it was ridiculous. At one point I didn't raise a single pot for 2 hours. I kept up with the blinds by winning a few nice pots in the blinds where I flopped huge and picked up a couple of bets.

UTG limps 12K and I raise to 36K with Q 9 suited. It wasn't until after I had raised that I noticed that UTG had limped. I thought UTG was BB and wasn't really paying attention.

Had I known that UTG had limped I would have either just pitched it or I would have raised to 48K. Looking back, I am pretty sure I would have just folded because I hate playing with UTG limpers especially in deep stack situations where they might be limping aces.

Flop

10 7 7. I bet 80K which leaves me with 75K. Of course UTG shoves all-in. I look at my stack, look at the blinds and decide that this is probably my best chance. I put him on a smaller pocket pair and decide that my Q and 9 are both live and have a back-door flush draw. I call his all-in and he shows A 10. What a fucking moron! Only an idiot plays A 10 like that in that position. I know I fucked the hand up but still, I am folding A 10 UTG every time late in a tournament. I miss and I'm out in 53rd. I think it paid something stupid like $66.

There really is no excuse for what happened there. I had a genuine opportunity to make 5K. These rebuy tournaments are really hard and take a really really long time since there are so many players. It's only the 4th time that I have gotten this far and I do not know when I will get back to that point. I assume it will be much sooner then later since I am a superior player now then when I played on Stars in the past.

I had been playing for 12 straight hours when that last hand went down and I obviously had a mind fuck because I really thought that UTG was BB.

I'm not going to lie it was close to 1:00 AM here and I saw that I could literally play good tournaments all through the night and play into the next day and go right into the stars Sunday tournies. I was going to take an adderall to stay up all night, but then I remembered that I have a job and a schedule to maintain so I have to be responsible for now. Hopefully in the future I can spend a whole weekend and do a 36 hour bender.

Sunday should be really exciting.

I satellited into the two main Sunday tournies on Cake and will be playing in those. Plus, I have a full slate of Sunday tournies for Stars.

No comments: