Thursday, March 27, 2008

Winning feels so damn good.

Winning 3 sessions consecutively has been an absolute rarity in the last few months. March has been a great month thus far because I have already had 3 opportunities to win 3 straight sessions. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to come through and get the win each time.

Tonight was my 4th chance to go for three in a row.

I started off not getting a whole lot to play with but got a chance to watch the table for a while. After about 30 hands or so I was still even and was actually contemplating a table change because there wasn't anybody on the table who looked beatable. Everyone seemed pretty solid and no one had done anything irrational.

I decided to stick it out as the table filled back up to 9 after being as low as 6. The table loosened up considerably and now it was a matter of catching a decent hand.

I picked up A 9 and raised to $25 in late position with only one limper hoping to only steal the blinds and antes and ended up getting called by the button. I whiffed the flop:

J 2 2

Since it was heads up and the board wasn't really that scary and I looked tight to the table, a continuation bet was mandatory.

The button who is a really strong player raises my $35 bet to $100. With nothing and a bet of $100 in front of me I had to fold immediately.

Just like that my stack was already down to $120 and I was quite discouraged as to how the night was turning out.

I went into playing super-tight mode hoping that I could catch a big hand. Something I use to never do.

It is amazing how quickly fortunes can change in this game.

I picked up J J and almost the whole table had limped and in I made it $30 to go in the SB. I expected 3 callers max but every player in the hand called the raise. I think we took the flop 7 handed if not 8 handed.

Because of my tight play I still had $80 behind and was not pot-committed so I would be able to fold to a bad flop.

The flop ended up being terrible.

Q 9 7 w/2 clubs.

I was first to act and couldn't push because I figured at least one player had at least a queen and my best case scenario is someone having a flush draw. I checked hoping to see a free card. Luckily everyone else checked and an unsuited Jack peeled off on the turn.

I now had the 2nd best possible hand since the only thing that was now beating me was K 10 and 8 10. Q Q isn't out there since there was no bet on the flop. I pushed all-in and the guy sitting right next to me called. I was pretty happy because he had been playing extremely loose and I figured he was drawing very thin. No one else called and my Jacks beat his top pair.

I went from a stack of $110 to $359 in just one shot. I picked up a couple small pots here and there and grew my stack to a little over $400. I then picked up another big hand. I found J 10 of diamonds and only limped hoping to see a cheap flop. I hit the flop huge.

3 7 8 w/ 2 diamonds

A player in front of me bet out $20 and I just called hoping to hit a flush or straight just one time. Turn

7 diamonds.

A great card but a little scary at the same time since a hand like 7 8 is very possible.

The bettor checks and I make it $35 to go.

He raises me to $100 and I figure he has a dry 7 and is drawing to a full house.

I called and a black queen came on the river.

He checked and there was enough money in the pot and I just wanted to show it down since the only hand that is calling me on the river is probably beating me.

He showed the 7 and mucked. I was up to $540 and was feeling really good about taking down my third session in a row.

I ended up leaving after a little under 2 hours and left with a profit of $304.

I really hate to say it but this whole playing tight thing is working and it looks like this I am going to keep this up for a while. I hated leaving early again since a really big night is possible but my bankroll is too small to risk it at this point but it is nice to have some cash again.

I am now up to $1787 in profit for the month of March which is the highest I have been up since November. I have won 3 in a row and 9 of 12.

I feel really good about the way things are going and look forward to making it 4 in a row tomorrow. I feel really good about the way I have played. I really haven't made any mistakes and have seen multiple spots where I would have gotten myself in trouble a few weeks ago. I have been very good about the hands I have played and the way I have been able to control the pots and have kept myself out of dangerous situations. Combine that with the fact that my hands are starting to hold up now. That is probably what feels the best.

No comments: