Saturday, March 15, 2008

This is what it feels like to hold up

I ended up playing after going out to the bars. My session started at 3:00 in the morning. It was scheduled as a hit n' run. Within 10 minutes of the session I got all in with A Q vs A 8 on an A A 6 7 5 board. I was quickly up to $400. I kind of wanted to leave since I had already gotten what I wanted, but I talked myself into playing longer. Huge mistake. I definitely regret not leaving. A few minutes later I made a stupid play with A K. It's probably only the first or second play I have made the entire time that I have been playing since I started this week and it blew up in my face.

I then got unlucky against the guy who I coolered earlier with the A Q. In the hour I played, I was dealt A K three times. The second time I raised to $25 and won the pot on the flop with a bet when I hit my A. I was dealt it again the very next hand and didn't want to raise it and I was in early position. I really didn't think I would flop it back to back. The pot went un-raised and the flop came K Q x.

I bet $20 and got raised to $60 by the guy who I had coolered. He was this macho douchebag type so I knew he was after me. The best hand I could possibly give him credit for was K J. The other hand I have him on is a possible spade flush draw since there are 2 spades on board. I had a decision to make. I could re-pop him all-in for $200 or I can just smooth call and see if a safe card falls. I decide to just call since I really want to see the next card plus I have a really big fear right now of being snap-called if I go all-in and only have top-top.

The turn is an off-suit 7 and I check to him and he bets enough to put me all-in. I feel really good about where I'm at and I call. The river blanks with some card that makes possible for a really weird straight. And he shows K 7 and I'm out. I went home and looked it up on the cardplayer calculator and I am an 87.58% favorite to win the hand on the flop. I got in that exact situation twice and won one and lost one. Coinflip.

I was very unhappy with the way I played and was even more upset that I could have left when I was up $200.

I went back earlier tonight and my session clocked in at 8:45. The room was packed and there is nothing sweeter then the Commerce main room on a Friday night. Most of my total winnings come on weekend nights so this a great chance to have a good come-up. At this point, I'm only up $319 for the month of March and cannot afford to have another break-even month. To make matters worse I have run better in the last week then I have in forever. One bad hand tonight and I will be back to almost even. That would be absolutely devastating at this point. I would still be even which isn't terrible but I really need a winning month right now.

10 minutes into my session I got a phone call from a friend and took it outside. In the 10 minutes I sat down there was a guy just dumping money to the table. In the 10 minutes before I got up, he dropped about $1000. He was limping 8 of 10 pots and was connecting with draws every 4 times or so. He would play every draw all the way to the river for his whole stack and missed every single one. His reactions were hilarious. He would get visibly angry and make all kinds of noise when his draws missed. This is a great guy to play with since he can't hit shit.

I'm dying to play a pot with him but am terrified at the same time. This guy is going to get lucky eventually and it will probably be against me. About 5 minutes after I came back I picked up A J and popped it to $25. This was my first raise of the night.

The old man who is missing everything calls along with an Armenian sucker.

Flop J 8 5 w/two spades.

I bet $75 and the old man calls me immediately. I have him right where I want him. Poker please be good to me. The Armenian sucker also calls and I figure that I am probably good against him as well.

Turn: 3 off

What a great turn. All draws have missed and I can big bet the turn. I put it all-in for $100.

The old man looks down at his cards and puts the rest of his stack which is about $80. The Armenian sucker puts in his last $45 or so.

River 2 off.

I show my top top and the Armenian sucker shows 10 10.

The old man freaks out and mucks 2 4 of spades. I scoop the almost $550 pot and I take one of old man's white chips that he continually keeps having to pull out of his pocket.

Not long after I win a $100 with pocket Aces.

I call a few raises and missed and had some hands that hit really hard but I didn't limp them.

I was looking down at how I had already made back the $200 from last night plus almost another whole buyin. I'm stoked and decide to hit and run so I call my friend back up and I head over to his place to blaze. It's a nice come up of $361.

I then go get a drink with another friend and made it back to Commerce for round 2.

Round 2 was pretty sweet as well.

I got caught in another scary dangerous hand when I found Q Q.

It was 1:00 am when I first sat down and my table was full of a bunch of young guys who were all wasted. The one old guy was a rock/shark.

I raised to $25 and got 4 callers.

Flop

J 10 8 all hearts.

Both my queens were red and I made it $75 to go.

I got called by one of the donks who happened to be hitting everything. I also got called by another one of the young guys except he had been generally tight.

Turn black 3

I was a little nervous about having two callers as I know that these guys are both drawing. I have no idea how good there draw is in relation to mine. I know I have the best made hand at this point so I put the rest of it in which was another $75 or so.

River black 3

I show my queens and both players shake there heads. The tighter player had the lone A of hearts and mucked. The fish had A 9 with no heart and was trying to hit my Q.

I tripled up and had over $500 in my stack.

This could have been the stuff of legend but the very next hand I folded 2 2 in early position to a $150 pre-flop raise. It was called 3 ways. The flop in the hand came down J 10 2 and a guy who had me covered went all-in on the flop. Both players mucked. What could have possibly been.

Later on I lost the minimum when I had tens against kings against the same fish.

I ended up leaving only 45 minutes after I sat down with a rack of $388.

For the day I made $549 and am now up $868 for the month. I am going to keep playing small-ball for as long I have the patience for. At this point it is really nice to be building up a little bit of a bankroll.

The two wins today put me at 5-3 for the month and I have won 4 out of my last 5 and will be going for 3 in a row tomorrow. I hope I play out of my mind and keep catching cards as this could be the start of nice little upswing.

Here is my graph for the last week.

No comments: