Sunday, November 9, 2008

FINALLY!!!! aflidjfdjfdfjlaf. AAAAHHH...For once I am the lucky bastard

For the first 3 days out of the last week I was buying into on average about $180 worth of tournaments. Each of the three days I was cashing for no less then $160. I was basically breaking even but losing small amounts everyday. Then I went on a horrible two day streak. In a two day period I bought into about $500-$600 worth of tournaments and in that time had only two cashes. They were for $30 and $7. After buying into all of Saturdays tournaments I was down to about $700 in my account. That is way too close to $0 for my comfort. It was also pissing me off because it was only about 10 days ago or so that I had $2100 in the account.

To make a long story short I set all kinds of records on Saturday.

The first one was that I cashed in a total of 6 MTT's. Several times prior to that I had 4 cashes in a day.

I ended up making most of my money back from the previous day when I final tabled a $20 180 man tourney and ended up taking 4th for $288. With my other cashes that put me back to $999 in my account.

I was invited to a juicy homegame at 9:00 that night and knew I wasn't going to be playing online all night if I so desired. So the last two tournies that I bought into were at 2:00 and 3:00.

The first one was a $10 freezeout with 3000+ players and the other was the $5 rebuys.

They recently changed the structure of the rebuys tournaments on Stars that has made it much harder for me to be successful. They extended the rebuy portion to 90 minutes, extended the playing time before breaks to 90 minutes, and decreased the blind levels from 15 to 10 minutes. There are added blind levels but the blinds go up way to fast after a while.

I went far in the $10 buyin but busted after about 2.5 hours and out of the money.

I have been doing so much worse in the rebuys as of late that I have considered quitting them altogether even though they are my favorite tournaments.

Not only that but if you have a bad rebuy session then its going to cost you a lot more then it use to. On the flip side, if you have a good rebuy session then you will go into the second part of the tournament stacked really deep.

On this particular day I had a terrible rebuy hour. I ended up spending around $80-$90 on the tournament. Even with that I still took 11K chips into the non-rebuy portion of the tournament.

There were things in this tournament that usually go against me all the time that finally flipped around. Here's the first one.

I recently watched a training video and the guy I was watching was absolutely relentless with raising in late position regardless of his holding so I have experimented here and there with that playing style. It's backfired big time and worked out really well in some spots.

Hand 1: It folds to me in the cutoff (one off the button) and I raise with a Q 7 spades. The guy on the button was calling all my raises because he's an idiot like that.


Flop:

K x x

I completely missed everthing and lead out and of course I get called.

Turn

x

The turn gives me a gutshot straight draw and puts 2 spades out there so I am flushing.

I stick it all in and of course the button calls and shows K 10. Really? It's obviously impossible for me to ever have A K here. The pot is 50K and the river comes:

6 of spades. I hit both the straight and the flush and the button starts bitching and whining about how terrible I am. I love how this shit happens to me all day everyday and once a month when I get lucky like that they have to talk shit everytime. Stop playing trash like K 10 and that won't ever happen to you. From that point on I was one of the big stacks for a good chunk of the tournament.

I got my stack up to 100K when the blinds were at 600/1200.

Unfortuntaley, by the time the blinds reached 2500/5000 I still had 100K. I then dropped to 60K and then got it back the next hand. I then dropped to 60K again and managed to grind my way up to 100K again.

I changed tables and this happened.

Hero 110K
Villain (about the same)

Blinds 4K/8K

Villain in the cutoff minraises. SB calls and I decide to shove with Q 10 of spades hoping that they both fold. Of course the CO calls and the SB folds.

Villain shows K K.

Flop

Q x x

This is the flop I always get but I never ever seem to suck out even though it happens to me constantly.

Turn x

River 10.

HAHA! Finally goddammit. Ship the 250K chip pot. I change tables immediately after.

I chill for a while and then get my stack up to 470K on one hand. I don't recall the hand.

I then change tables and what a table change it was.

Within 10 minutes of my new table change my stack grows from 470K to 930K without even having to make a showdown. I picked up Aces twice and Kings once and there was a lot of action before me and each time I shoved I won the pot uncontested.

At this point, I am top 10 in the tournament with about 150 left.

First is $8500. One time?

I eventually change tables again and there was this idiot to my right who was literally raising every pot. This stupid bastard cost me so many chips. He kept raising crap like K 2 and Q 4 and then calling all ins and winning often enough to never go broke. On multiple occassions I was going to play my hand but got raised off and would have won a big pot.

On this table I ran sick hot but never got to profit off of it. Had I limped or called raises with really trash hands I would have flopped trips about 7 times. Because of the moron on my table I wasn't able to play any hands and started getting dwindled away.

I got down to the last 3 tables and the money jumps were now substantial. During that time I went from 1 million chips to 500K about 3 times, because I would win a big pot and then fold every hand for 3 rounds because of how crazy everyone was playing. I would then get super short and shove with crap and on two separate occassions I was called by 2 2 and won both times!

We got down to the last two tables and I was 18th in chips just barely hanging on. People were playing so crazy I thought I had no chance to make the final table which I so desired. 3 of the top stacks knocked each other out because they all played terribly. I ended up doubling up with about 14 left and then won a few more uncontested pots and suddenly was looking good. The rest all got knocked out and I came into the final table 8/9 in chips. I was so stoked. It was only the second time ever that I have ever made the final table of a jumbo rebuy. This tournament also had the most players ever where I was able to make the final table. It was also the first time ever that I made two final tables in the same day.

Almost every player on the final table was terrible. There was one guy who was calling every all in whether it was preflop or pre-river and this guy was sucking out every time. Quickly we were down to 5. But before that there is one more great suckout.

I think there were 6 or 7 left and I was in last place.

The blinds were 75K/150K and I had about 1.4M in chips.

I shoved on the button with K 10 and the BB who was calling everything and had a 12M chip stack called me with 2 2. Again 2 2!

Flop

x x x I miss everything.

Turn 2 spade

There are now 3 spades and I have the king of spades.

River 10 of spades.

NO FUCKING WAY. I know how it feels to lose there but I never hit that card!

I am pretty sure that is biggest pot I have ever won in a tournament as my stack was over 3 million. I was now second in chips.

Mr 12M donked off 8 million of his chips and at this point I had 4.5M in chips with 4 left.

Super donk raises to 1M which is a stupid raise and I have A 10 in the SB. I shove expecting him to call and for me to win but instead the BB who was playing super tight and was taking all of the donks money overshoves and I knew that I just lost the tournament.

He shows A A and I actually hit my 10 but I can't hit the 2 outer. The worst part about that hand is if the donk calls and the BB doesn't call I would have won since the top pair on the board was a 10.

4/3429 was good for $3267. My second largest cash ever and on the day I made over $3500 which is my second biggest money day ever playing poker. My stars account now sits at $4226.49

If I can now get 10 more like the one you just read about then Stars and I will be even. Until then, I still hate poker and still hate Stars.

Also, the tournament took 8 hours and I ended up showing up to the home game at around 11 but my stupid drunk friends hadn't even started yet. I was there more to drink and get smoked then I was to play poker and I didn't last long. I built up a nice stack and then had JJ run into KK and I was out after a couple hours.

No comments: