Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Some slight relieft: Original email date: 2/14/08

So I went to Commerce today, just praying for a win... no matter how small. Just something to get that downswing off my back. Before today I was $303 away from my all-time consecutive loss record and that is a record that I am fighting dearly to not eclipse.

I had a chance to break it last night and had a very good chance earlier today.

Some very un-standard things happened today and it was really nice.

I bought into the $200 and immediately started getting chipped away. I was down to $140 when I won my first pot and that put me up to $170.

I was down to my last $130 when this hand went down.

I limp UTG with AK and there are several limpers. The BB who is a fish raises to $35 and declares that everyone should call because if you have a pair then you are winning. Obviously I don't know how truthful, he is being but I give credit for AK AQ. Looking back I should have just pushed but I am pretty sure I would have had the same result. I just call.

The button decides to go all-in for another $20. I am now in for $55 and now feel pot-committed.

The 3 of us take the flop and it comes 6 4 4.

The BB checks and I figure at this point that my AK is best so I push in my last $80 or so.

The BB eventually calls and I miss the turn and river. The button shows J 10 for nothing, and the BB shows 9 9. Damn. Another standard coin-flip.

I reach back into my pocket and pull out another $200 which was all I was really willing to risk.

I start getting chipped away and one of the most un-standard hands of my life goes down. I think I had about $150 or so when this hand went down. Before today, I had only flopped one set in my last 8 losing sessions.

I pick up 5 5 and there is a $20 raise from the same BB (fish).

There are 3 callers including myself.

Flop

J 5 5

SAY WHAT????

I actually had to double check my cards to make sure I didn't have 6 6 because I cannot remember the last time I have ever seen this in a live game. I know I have turned quads with a pocket pair but I don't think I have flopped it like that.

The BB bets $40 and I can barely contain myself. I just call. Another player in the hand also just calls and I could not be more excited.

I don't even remember what the turn is and the BB puts the rest of his stack in which has me covered. I can tell that the other guy wants to call as well, but there is nothing I can do about it. I call also and the other guy angrily mucks a Jack face up. The BB also has a Jack and I get paid.

I win another decent pot the next hand and my stack is up to $450. A $50 profit! I can leave now and end my losing streak. What fun would that be.

You can't imagine that I would finish this story without telling a bad beat tale.

So about 15 minutes later. I pick up A 9 and I messed up because I was sitting on the button and I should have popped it but I didn't. I guess the reason why I didn't is because no one ever respects my raises and I really didn't feel like having 6 callers with a holding so marginal so I limped.

Flop comes 9 high with a flush draw. Me and this other guy end up all-in. He only has about $90 left and of course he hits his club on the river. Standard.

I then got outdrawn in a couple of small pots and before I knew it I was back down to $250. I could not be more upset. Over the next two hours, I grind and grind and grind and finally get back to $418 and am thinking about leaving and taking the win but I couldn't bring myself to do it so I kept playing.

I got a little frisky and raised to $25 with 4 4 trying to steal limps and blinds. I got 2 callers and the flop came

K J 10

Checks around.

Turn 4

I bet $50 and get one caller.

River 6

I bet $60 and he lays it down. I left after that hand and came up $143.

There it is.

I snapped an 8 session losing streak.

I snapped a straight loss of $2066.

And it took me 10 sessions to get my second win in the month of February.

I don't know whats going to happen next time, but I hope its not the start of another record-breaking downswing.

$700 upswing would be nice for tomorrow night if I end up playing.

Take care.

-Gary

PS I have sent you a graph in the other email.

Here is the graph I sent her. 8 straight losses.

No comments: