Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Went deep in the million.

Well, its the end of the year and although I run like total crap all the time, I still had by far and away my most successful year ever in poker. I don't have the numbers on me because looking at them makes me sick but unless something crazy happens before the new year. (yeah right) I am going to finish just shy of $20K in overall profit. As of right now I am down about $300 or so for the month of December.

Overall, I have paid off all my bills and still have twice as much money as the last time I had decent money on me. So to say that I am not extremely proud of myself would be a total lie. I am proud of myself but I still can't stand poker.

Last weekend I had one of my worst weekends ever. I was up about $1200 for the month and in a short 48 hours I was down $700 for the month. Yay go me. I wish I could have upswings like that. Once again, yeah right. That was from playing exclusively cash. NL50 with shots at NL100 which of course was a huge disaster. I literally lost $500 in about 10 minutes because I'm good at poker.

I also lost $300 on the Celtics/Lakers Christmas game. As a result, I plan on making my biggest sports bet ever on the Rose Bowl game. I have to make a couple phone calls to my sports betting experts but there going heavy on USC. So we'll see what they say.

This is pretty much what poker has been like for the last 4 months and why I hate it. Remember I am almost never on the other side of this and don't understand how all this math they claim can be correct.

These are all in situations with the exception to one. I run terrible at all ins.

I have Q Q.

They have A 10

All in Preflop

Flop A 3 7

That happens about 8 out of 10 times. I don't know it off the top of my head but I think I am an 83% favorite. That may be a little high but that can't be right because that's how often I lose there. Like I said, when I have A 10 there, I have won 4 times this month. I lose that way 4 times every day.

I have K Q

They have A J

Flop K x x

I swear to God, every time I flop that the turn is an Ace. Every single time. I never ger to suck out there.

I have A K

They have Q 8

Flop A 8 3. All in on the flop.

Turn: Almost every time: 8 or a Q.

I never suck out here with the 5 outer but it happens well over half the time.

My new favorite. This has been happening a lot in cash games and I don't know why I lose here so often.

I have J J.

I raise preflop.

Flop Q Q 6

I bet. They call.

Turn K

I bet they call again.

River Check Check.

They show K 10 and win. It's unreal how often people call me with nothing with a 3 outer and then suck out and get rewarded. I would be dead in 3 months from the collectors coming after me if I played like that yet people do every day against me and get rewarded for it. This is why I hate poker. Don't get me wrong, I want people to play like that but I only want them to win 13% of the time like there suppose too. Not win the vast majority of the time over 100's of thousands of hands over months and months.

So, as a result of losing my shirt over the weekend I decided to play in the big stars sunday tournies (which I never do well in btw) because maybe once I'll get lucky and it was the last sunday of the year so all the tournaments were juiced.

I had accumulated 20K FPP points from playing cash and tournies on stars and decided to play in the sunday million which had a guaranteed prize pool of 2.5 million. The ticket cost me 13500 points.

I had played in this tourney 3 other times and only made it past the first break once. With over 16K players registered I had very little expectations. It's pretty much a lottery with that many players. The prize pool ended being over $3 million.

Early on I picked up A A and got all in the on the flop against 10 10 and for some reason didn't lose. Must have been a glitch in the system. You start the tournament with 10K chips and right away I had 20K chips with the blinds at 50/100.

I then got nothing for 2 hours and then gave someone a bad beat to double up. Must have been another glitch. I then gave another bad beat. I knew not to get too excited because 1st place in this tournament was $330K. I don't ever expect to win anything like that ever so I never got my hopes up.

Overall, this was by far the most fun I have ever had playing poker. Even more fun then the time I played in the $1000 buy in game at the Bellagio.

We made it to the money and I had about 70K chips with the BB at 2500 so I was in great shape!

But... come on you aren't reading the blog of one of these guys who gets lucky every week and is a millionaire.

This is DrBadBeat.

Like always I lost the biggest pot of the tournament.

I was up to 85K and got all in with A Q against J J.

Couldnt win. That was a 120K chip pot.

Then I get all in a little while later with A 9 against 6 6 and couldn't win again.

I finished in 1501 place which was good for about $350. All profit since I spent points to get in the tournament. I survived for almost 5 hours in the tournament which is surprising even too me. It sucks because if I would have lasted another hour I would have more or less made back my entire dowswing from the last couple days since the money jumps were extreme.

All in all, I am really really happy I played in the tournament and hope to play in it again some day.

My goal for next year is modest. I hope to make $40K playing poker next year. Assuming I don't quit, it will be the first time ever that I will play all 12 months in a year.

As of right now I have no aspirations for playing in the WSOP next year. I don't really see it being worth my time unless good things happen between now and then. I am not counting on it though since I am not good at catching breaks.

No comments: